Seattle Farm School and members of the West Seattle community are on a 2-year mission to raise funds and purchase the Seattle City Light substation property on the corner of 50th and Dakota, across from the brand new Genesee Hill Elementary School in West Seattle!
Once purchased, the Dakota Homestead will be created to provide a gathering center and educational resource to the community!
The Dakota Homestead will include:
- Indoor classrooms
- Teaching kitchen
- Seed lending library
- Chicken coop
- Farm Stand / CSA Pickup Hub
- Gardens and fruit orchard
- and we will keep the beautiful trees on site!
We will be able to offer a full schedule of Modern Day Home Economics, including sewing, cooking, fermentation, edible gardening, composting, knitting, crochet, papercraft, cheesemaking, canning & jams, baking, emergency prep, alternative energy and more!
- Beautiful green space
- Local gathering place
- Classes for all ages
- Summer camps
- Events – birthdays, weddings, neighborhood parties, etc.
- New farmer training program
- Potential after-school program
- Examples of green building & sustainable urban agriculture
- Partnership with local teachers to enrich curriculum with hands on projects
- Special speakers
- Seasonal events – seed swap, urban farm tour, Farm Fest – local art, music & farmers, pumpkin patch, plant sales
We need you! To volunteer, do outreach, and help fundraise! Our first fundraising goal is to raise $650,000 to purchase the property before November 2017. We are currently working on designs and estimates for the building and will add that to the fundraising plan!
Email Katie@SeattleFarmSchool.com to get involved!